Our client, the Midwest’s leading environmental legal advocacy organization, seeks a skilled litigation attorney with 10+ years of strong federal and state court litigation experience for a full-time position in its Chicago HQ office (preferred) or Minneapolis or Washington D.C. regional offices. This Senior Environmental Attorney will perform a key litigation role advancing innovative and successful environmental programs by first-chairing natural resources protection litigation and helping to lead policy advocacy campaigns with a focus on the Great Lakes and surrounding National Parks and wilderness areas. Responsibilities include:
• Key litigation role advancing ELPC’s innovative and successful environmental program
activities to protect the Midwest’s wild and special places, the Great Lakes, and wildlife and biodiversity.
• First-chair on some ELPC natural resources protection litigation and help lead policy
advocacy campaigns in the “courts of public opinion” to succeed; second-chair on other ELPC natural resources protection litigation teams.
• Work with ELPC’s Executive Director and Senior Staff to help prioritize and provide
savvy results focused strategic direction for ELPC’s Great Places – Great Lakes Program.
• Work effectively in ELPC’s public interest entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary team culture.
• Fundraise to support ELPC’s wild places and natural resources protection program
activities and expand program success.
• 10+ years of major litigation experience, preferably with a practice including
environmental and natural resources legal and policy issues.
• The ideal background would be a public interest litigation organization, USDOJ or
strong state AG office, or high-powered law firm with hands-on trial and appellate experience.
• Excellent writing and persuasive oral advocacy abilities required.
• Strong academic background desired.
• An inspired and demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and the ability to work productively with a fast-paced team of skilled professionals are required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with experience and with ELPC’s salary structure, and is
competitive with other major public interest environmental law organizations. Excellent benefits
We submit confidential inquiries to our hiring contacts which preserves the confidentiality of the attorney candidate.